Friday, June 13, 2008

4 Boy Scout die in Iowa

I felt the need today today to take the day off completely from sports and talk a little about something that is near and dear to my heart. Four Boy Scouts were killed when a tornado hit their camp earlier this week in Iowa.

The four, all 13 or 14 years old were attending a leadership camp near the town of Little Sioux. But to me, a large part of the story was the ability of the other 93 boys at the camp to help one anoter while the waited for help.

As you might or might not know about me, I am an Eagle Scout. I made Eagle in 1998, while I was a memeber of Troop 141 here in Tucson.

As time pass, I appreciate my days as a Boy Scout more and more. When you are in junior high or high school and even sometimes in college you might not be "proud" of what your passionate about because it's not "cool." No matter if it's chess, music, track, church or something else. In a lot of ways I was like that too.

But that was a while ago, I'm a different person now.

Today I more proud of being an Eagle Scout then I am of being a high school graduate, college graduate or the best damn board opt in Tucson (yeah-I'm better then you Rob!).

Everything that matter in how I try to live my life I learned from Boy Scouts (well besides from my parents-but that's for another day). It was from my days as a Boy Scout that I learned how to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous , kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. For you scouts that should sound familiar, for that's the Scout Law.

Boy Scouts is how I learned I can do anything if I set my mind to it. It was Boy Scouts that tough me to be prepared!

But if reading these stories and seeing these kids on TV I am more proud then ever to be an Eagle Scout and hope all the kids who in these troops who have not yet made Eagle well soon.

God Bless who those who need it today.

No comments: